Unwanted body hair; it's not a fun topic, but it's an issue for many people. The fabulous Shobha Tummala, founder and CEO of Shobha, a string of hair removal spas in NYC, is going to teach us about threading. (And trust me, she knows her stuff!)
Tell us what this threading business is all about? Explain the process.
Threading is by far the gentlest form of hair removal and dates back centuries with its origins in Arabia and South Asia. The simple process involves a piece of thread that is twisted and pulled along areas of unwanted hair acting like a mini-lasso, lifting the hair follicle directly from the root without the use of any chemicals, sharp metal instruments or unnecessary tugging on delicate skin!
No more pain, no more red, no more stranger’s looks of dread! Although threading is by far the gentlest form of hair removal for the face’s delicate skin, we discovered that the treatment can still be painful for those who are more sensitive, especially in the often dreaded upper lip, chin & side-burn areas. Thus, in hopes of eliminating discomfort and the unpleasant aftermath (AKA redness), here at Shobha we have created a fresh perspective on this ancient art of hair removal. All Shobha Specialists have been meticulously trained in our signature threading technique that uses our exclusive line of hair removal products, incorporating our own secret Indian recipes, ensuring that everything goes smoothly each step of the way: prep, remove, then soothe.
Honestly, does it hurt as much as waxing or tweezing? What can one expect at their first threading appointment?
Threading, especially for ‘first-timers,’ is not necessarily painful but rather a foreign sensation. It is definitely less painful than waxing as it targets the hair without gripping on the surrounding skin in the process. And if there is any pain, it is most comparable to tweezing.
First-timers can expect the threading process to take slightly longer than waxing since fewer hairs are targeted at once, but the results last just as long and any redness of the skin dissipates within a half hour versus a several-day-recovery some folks experience after waxing – a dead giveaway that you are not naturally as hair-free as you wish to be!
About the Shobha Experience Our signature Shobha treatments ensure that anyone can undergo a positive hair removal experience. Even the most sensitive skin is no match for our Specialists and expert, all-inclusive processes. Our services are sensitive and effective, making them skin-friendly, worry-free solutions to even those taking prescriptive pharmaceuticals that may cause skin to be especially fragile!
After hearing endlessly about past spa nightmares from our clients, we have vowed to go that extra mile to ensure each client’s safety, and promise to only provide super sanitary services. In addition to all Shobha Specialists being licensed professionals, each Specialists has completed and passed our extensive training program and continues to be an active participant in the Shobha Quality Assurance Process to maintain our high standards and further develop his/her skills through workshops and individual reviews.
Precautions: Here are some precautions to keep in mind for hair removal treatments (they are not meant to scare you away from hair removal, but just important areas to help you decide what is best for you):
- For sensitive skin waxing/sugaring/threading may result in minor bumps, rashes, etc. More specifically, waxing/sugaring/threading can result in temporary enlargement of the hair follicles that can allow bacteria, normally residing on the skin, to enter the follicles and cause superficial or deep skin infections. If an infection is noted, it should be evaluated and treated by a dermatologist as soon as possible.
- If you have never waxed/sugared/threaded before, please request a patch test before you undergo a waxing/sugaring/threading treatment. We recommend waiting 24 - 48 hours after the patch test to see if any adverse reactions occur before a full treatment is performed.
- At our Shobha salons we use only sanitary equipment and enforce a strict No Double-Dip (SM) Policy, which means that the same spatula will NEVER be re-dipped into the vat of wax/sugaring gel.
Why is threading a better option than waxing for women with unwanted facial hair?
Threading is, by far, the best method to remove facial hair! Here are some benefits:
- The Ouch(less) Factor - It is found by many to be much less painful than waxing. Since threading only targets the individual hairs, skin irritation is kept to a minimum, unlike waxing, which often causes unnecessary stretching and removal of the skin's delicate top layers.
- An Art of Perfection - Threading is very precise and allows our specialists to have greater control than waxing, resulting in a better brow shape for you!
- Au Naturale - Threading is 100% natural, there are no artificial waxes, chemicals, or invasive techniques used.
- We Take It All Off! - Even those short stubbly hairs can be removed; this gives you the option of avoiding that annoying grow-out period that everyone hates!
- The Taming of the Flame - Minimal redness occurs after threading, and any redness that does appear, usually subsides within a half hour. Threading lets your beauty secrets stay secret!
- Anti-Acne - The majority of people that breakout from waxing tend to have much better results with threading. Also, threading is completely safe and dermatologist-recommended for individuals who are currently using medications like Accutane and Retin-A.
- Wrinkle Prevention - Warning: waxing can tug, pull, stretch, and even remove the delicate skin on your face, eventually facilitating in the development of wrinkles! But there is good news, threading does none of this! So instead of torturing yourself with waxing, choose threading which will leave you hairless and smooth!