At first glance, this product looked promising because the packaging was cool and the claims about this serum on the company’s web site looked exciting. But, we didn't really feel it delivered what it promised with "almost instant" results. It shrunk our pores a little and didn’t irritate our skin but with a $275 price tag, we hoped for more.
Potent Repair Serum - Description
This serum comes in a .5 oz. shiny silver plastic cylinder pump with no cap to take off. The cylinder comes in a purple box and the box unfolds into an information sheet about the product. The serum’s color is light orange. It is very, very thin and watery. It’s not sticky or thick. We learned that we needed to dispense a tiny bit at a time because it is so watery that if we used more than one pump, it got too messy and too hard to apply. The scent is hard for us to describe, but it reminded us a little of a wood scent. We didn’t notice that the scent lingered, it was quickly gone after application.
The company recommends this product if you want brighter, softer, smoother, and even-toned skin. On their web site, they include the following description of the ingredients: “Super anti-oxidant RED MANGROVE Extract to help repair + Ferulic Acid to protect cellular integrity + Thiotaine to help improve oxygenation of cells + Laminaria Algae to nourish the skin.” They also explain that since the product is so unique to them, they refer to it as “The Specialist.”
On the cylinder and on the box, the instructions for use are: “Doctor’s Orders: Apply a small amount all over face until completely absorbed. Can be used AM and PM.” At the time of this review, this product sells for about $275.
There is a warning that states: "Warnings: Apply as directed. Keep away from eyes and mucous membranes. Do not use if pregnant or nursing. Keep out of the reach of children."
We asked Hevia what the warning was about and their response was, "I have spoken with Dr. Hevia and none of the ingredients contained in the HEVIA MD SKIN SCIENCE products are specifically harmful to pregnant or nursing women in any way, to the best of our knowledge. Nevertheless, all warnings in this routine and customary copy are included as a precautionary measure.
Potent Repair Serum - Review
Things We Loved:
- No Irritations: We were happy that this product didn’t cause any irritations as sometimes serums can be very strong and irritate skin. We didn’t have any breakouts, redness, oiliness, dryness and the product did not sting our face.
Things We Didn't Love:
- No Big Results: The serum didn’t cause any irritations, but it also didn’t show us any changes. Our face didn’t feel or look much different after use. It didn’t brighten our skin or make it smoother or softer. Maybe as we go on with using it, we'll see better results, but after a month, we weren't wowed enough to purchase.
- Messy Application: The texture of the serum is very thin. We couldn’t use more than one pump at a time or the product would run down our hand and through our fingers and be wasted. If the product was a little thicker, it would be easier to apply.
- The Price: For what this product delivers and the amount that is provided, we think $275 is way too high.
Potent Repair Serum - Final Thoughts
We wanted to be wowed. Looking below at the ingredients, it has a powerhouse list of anti-oxidants and collagen builders. Why then didn't we seen the results we expected? The only positive thing we can say is that it didn’t cause any irritations. Sure, it shrunk our pores only a tiny bit, but that was after many days of use and on the company’s web site, they state that the serum will work “almost instantly!” We did not find that to be true at all and unfortunately this serum fell flat for our expectations. And then add in the price. A lower price point would not have changed our opinion of the overall results of the serum, but it would have put it at the price that we'd give it more time to show us results.
It's a toss-up for us. Maybe we needed more time. In doing searches for other reviews, all we found were recycled press releases and interviews from Dr. Hevia stating how wonderful the products were.
Do you have a huge budget for skin care products? Feel free to try it and see if your results are better than what we had. As for us, we'll find another serum to try.
More Serum Reviews
More About Serums
- Serum vs. Moisturizer: What's the difference between a serum and a moisturizer? And do you really need to use both products?
- Do I Need to Use My Serum Twice a Day?: A reader writes in asking about her skin care routing - face oils and serums. Is a serum twice a day too much?
- Review - Maria Badescu: Vitamin C Serum: Mary-Ellen shares her thoughts of this anti-aging serum. How did it work for her?
- Review - Somme Institute: Serum: Jen Adkins, About.com's Guide to Skin Care reviews the entire Somme Institute line. Here is her thoughts on the serum.