The Bottom Line
Unless you have oily skin, this mousse cleanser will likely leave your face dry and tight.
- Liquid to mousse means the bottle lasts a very long time; a little is all it takes.
- Free from natural irritations found in most of Clinique's cleansers.
- Does a great job of taking off makeup, even lipstick and eye makeup.
- The bottle says "Cleanser" which is misleading; it is intended for pre-cleansing.
- Labeled "for all skin types", it leaves dry skin very dry.
- On Clinique's website it says, "Ideal for normal to dry skin", however, it leaves skin dehydrated.
- Pre-Cleanser meant to use before your 3-step skin care regime. That fact is not initially obvious from the bottle.
- Labeled for "normal to dry skin", this will in fact leave normal to dry skin very dry.
- A liquid-to-foam cleanser is a great concept ensuring the bottle will last a very long time.
- Great at removing makeup including eye makeup and lipstick if you have the right skin type.
Guide Review - Clinique: Foaming Mousse Cleanser
A great concept; Clinique's Foaming Mousse Cleanser comes in a pump bottle that produces a nice foaming cleanser. The liquid-to-foam process ensures that your bottle will last a very long time. Printed on the front of the bottle, "Foaming Mousse Cleanser", one would think that it is a cleanser; this is not the case, this is actually a pre-cleanser. Because it does not specifically say "pre-cleanser", this fact is not known by many who try this product. It does however say on the website to follow with "3-step Skin Care", which takes you to their additional cleansers, toners and moisturizers. Specified as good for normal to dry skin, those who are in these skin categories (especially dry) are quick to find out that this indeed only makes their skin even more dry.
Unfortunately, Clinique drops the ball with this cleanser. Simply stated as a "Foaming Mousse Cleanser" good for "normal to dry skin", the information is not available unless you talk directly with someone behind the counter. This is actually a pre-cleanser not suited for normal to dry skin due to the potassium based alkaline agent which leave the skin's Ph balance at 9 (it's naturally around 5.5). This leaves skin tight and dry, and with prolonged use, users in the normal to dry category found their skin so dry that they would not continue using this cleanser.
However, those who love this cleanser love the fact that it easily removes all of their makeup, including lipstick and eye makeup which sometimes require additional products to remove.
Before purchasing this product, see if there is a sample that you can use for a while and see how your skin reacts. If you find your skin dry and tight, pass it up and choose something more gentle. If you like Clinique, try their Liquid Facial Soap.