Merlot Skin Care is a US-based skin care line that uses the power of grapes to enhance their products. Their product line, started in 2001, currently consists of more than 20 skin care products. We picked up Merlot's Lip Moisturizer at one of our local drug stores with high hopes.We went on to do a little research of Merlot's products and will likely go on to purchase more of their products to try out. In our mid-30's and fighting the clock, we're suckers for antioxidants. (We slather on YBF: Antioxidants as often as we can!) Read on to see what we thought of Merlot's Lip Moisturizer.
Merlot: Lip Moisturizer - Description
The packaging on every Merlot Skin Care products reads "...studies have shown that grape seed oil is 50 times more effective as an antioxidant than vitamin E."
The lip balm package also reads:
- Conditions with natural grape seed oil
- Utilizes natural antioxidants
- Protects lips with SPF15
We couldn't find a list of stores on their website, so we're not sure which stores you can get Merlot skin care products from, but we got ours at Walgreens. We paid $2.99 for our lip moisturizer. There were about 6 other Merlot Skin Care products on the shelf.
Merlot: Lip Moisturizer - Review
Things We Love:
- SPF: We love the SPF 15 in Merlot's Lip Moisturizer. We wish every lip balm had SPF in their ingredient list because we should all be using it daily.
- Light Scent: There are no artificial flavors in this lip balm, but it has a nice, light natural scent we like.
- Color: It's silly, we know, but the pretty purple lip balm is fun.
- Price: $3.00 for a lip balm with SPF is something we'll definitely recommend.
What We Didn't Love:
- Consistency: We felt Merlot's lip balm was a bit hard to put on, as in, it tugged on our lips a lot. It is not a smooth, soft lip balm. It's dense and tugs. One pro to that is if you put your lip balm in your pocket, it holds its shape well when warmed up with your body heat unlike some of the softer lip balms.
Merlot: Lip Moisturizer - Final Thoughts
A $3 lip balm with SPF 15? Sold! The dense texture and lip pulling? Not so much. Does the SPF cancel out the lip-tugging? We'll let you decide; We're still on the fence.
Ingredients in Merlot: Lip Moisturizer
Active Ingredients: Octinoxate (2.0%) (Sunscreen), Oxybenzone (4.50%) (Sunscreen)
Inactive Ingredients: Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Synthetic Beeswax, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Lanolin, Zea Mays (Corn) Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, BHT, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Bismuth Oxychloride, Mica, Ultramarines, Manganise Violet
More on Lip Care
- Review: eos: Lip Balm Sphere: Another drugstore lipbalm to check out is eos. At the time of our review, they didn't have SPF, which is a definite downfall, but we still love these little round spheres. Check out our review.
- Skin Care Recipe - Fruity Lip Balm: If you're looking for a fun activity to do with your tween, check out this super-simple 2 ingredient lip balm recipe given to us from Erika Katz, Author of Bonding Over Beauty, A Mother-Daughter Guide to Self-Esteem, Confidence and Trust.
- How to Get Rid of the Dry, Flaky Skin on Your Lips: A reader writes in wanting help healing the dry skin on her lips. Check out the tips we gave her for healing the dry skin and keeping it from coming back.