We were excited to try this hand cream because it was created by a dermatologist (Oscar Hevia, MD), and within the packaging there was a lot of information about his quest to find “ingredients with a purpose” and that he was using “innovative technology.” It sounded exciting to us. However, we didn’t find it to be the best anti-aging product that we’ve ever tried.
As just a cream for moisturizing skin, it does a decent job. If you take away the anti-aging and brightening promises, the cream is very nice. We found it to be light, oil-free and non-irritating. The product looks serious and sleek, comes with a lot of information, but ultimately falls just a little short with us.
There is a warning that states: "Warnings: Apply as directed. Keep away from eyes and mucous membranes. Do not use if pregnant or nursing. Keep out of the reach of children."
We asked Hevia what the warning was about and their response was, "I have spoken with Dr. Hevia and none of the ingredients contained in the HEVIA MD SKIN SCIENCE products are specifically harmful to pregnant or nursing women in any way, to the best of our knowledge. Nevertheless, all warnings in this routine and customary copy are included as a precautionary measure.
Renewing Hand & Body Cream - Description
This cream comes in a 3.4 oz. purple plastic cylinder pump with a silver lid that comes off. Although the cylinder is plastic, because of its sleek packaging, it looks like metal and glass at first glance. The cylinder comes in a purple box and the box unfolds into an information sheet about the product.
The cream is a white color, it blends into skin and becomes invisible almost immediately. The consistency is very thin although it is not oily or messy. The scent turned us off a bit. It is a very strong pine scent that reminded us of men’s aftershave. It did linger a bit after use as well so you would have to like this scent if it was going to be part of your regular product use. The scent didn’t last all day, but it did stay with us for a couple of hours.
The company recommends this product for all skin types. They also include a lot of information on the inside of the box about red mangrove extract. They explain that the anti-oxidant red mangrove extract is in the product and this is what contributes to the anti-aging effects.
On the cylinder and on the box, the instructions for use are: “Doctor’s Orders: Use daily, apply to the back of hands and all over body as often as needed.” We were pleased with how easily the cream moisturized our skin and for the first hour or so after application, our skin may have looked slightly better (as happens with most creams), but there was no lasting effect. At the time of this review, this product sells for about $79.
Renewing Hand & Body Cream - Review
Things We Loved:
- So Light: One thing that makes this product stand out is how it is so light in texture, yet it works just as well when it comes to moisturizing as many heavier creams we’ve tried. We love that!
- Moisturizes Well: We were happy with how the product hydrated our skin, and it did not make our skin oily, greasy, sticky or cause any irritations.
Things We Didn't Love:
- No Noticeable Anti-Aging Effects: The back of our hands may have looked slightly better for a couple of hours after we used the cream, but that was due mostly to being properly moisturized. We didn’t notice any brightening and we did not see a decrease in aging spots. We looked for more information on their web site, and for this cream, they provide before/after pictures of a person’s skin. We can see that even in those pictures, the skin definitely benefits from the hydration that this product offers, but we could not detect any brightening or anti-aging.
- The Scent: We’re not sure if the scent was used to make it more of a unisex product, but it was not what we were expecting. It is a heavy, pine, men’s aftershave scent that we didn’t love.
- The Price: If we're paying $80 for a body cream, we want to be impressed from the very first application. Maybe we're harder on more expensive products, but his product promises great results and we did not see everything it promises.
Renewing Hand & Body Cream - Final Thoughts
You may want to try this if you have tried many different creams and have not been satisfied because they were irritating, too heavy, too greasy or sticky. You will find none of that to be true with this cream. But, if you already have a cream you love, we can’t recommend that you run out and buy this one. It's expensive and we didn't notice anything that makes us want to spend that kind of money on a body cream.
Again, just like the Hevia serum we reviewed, we're torn because we see the great list of ingredients. It could be a product that shows results slowly over time. We weren't wowed with our results and we won't be purchasing when our moisturizer runs out.