As you probably know, there are two types of sunscreen - chemical and physical. Those who look for natural sun protection typically pick the physical sun blockers with ingredients such as Zinc Oxide and Titanium Oxide. The cons people commonly find to these ingredients is that they leave your skin looking white and they have to physically be washed off unlike the chemical sun blockers that truly go on sheer and dissolve from your skin over time. (UVA vs. UVB: What's the Difference?)
Another thing that people commonly complain when talking about Zinc Oxide and Titanium Dioxide is that they aren't as easy as the spray on sheer sunscreens. Look no further - Goddess Garden Organics spray-on sunscreen looks identical to the spray-on bottles you find at any drugstore. It has 94% organic ingredients (ingredient list below) and it says right bottle "eco sheer". But is it?
Things We Liked
- SPF 30: While the Skin Cancer Foundation recommends any SPF level 15 or higher, we always go with The Melanoma Foundation's recommendation of SPF 30. This is a SPF level to protect your skin.
- The Ease of Use: We love spray-on sunscreens, even though they get a bad rep due to the possibility of inhalation and users not using enough. We think that if you are careful and rub in after application, you're probably OK. This sunscreen goes on with ease.
- Scent: It has a nice, light smell that doesn't smell like coconut. Score!
- And yes...It's SHEER: We didn't believe it was going to be sheer, but there is no denying; it is sheer. (With Zinc Oxide and Titanium Dioxide, we wonder how?)
- Non-Sticky: After the sunscreen is absorbed, there is no sticky residue left behind. You're left with a nice matte feeling.
Things We Didn't Like
- Price: There is this little known fact with spray sunscreens: they empty fast. It seems like we're going through a bottle every few days in the summer at my house. I often tell my husband it would be more economic to buy lotions, but the ease of the spray currently outweigh my goal of a lower sunscreen budget. The cost of this one totally disappointed me. It retails for $22 a bottle. If you have multiple kids and a budget, it's probably too expensive to use all year - even all summer long.
We really do love this sunscreen. The ease, the sheerness, the organic ingredients, the use of natural sun blockers. We wish it was more affordable for everyone to purchase. (Would you put sunscreen on your neighbor's child?)
Active Ingredients Purpose
- Zinc Oxide - 6.0% Sunscreen
- Titanium Dioxide - 6.4% Sunscreen
Other Ingredients: Aloe Vera*, Cetyl Alcohol, Gluconolactone, Glycerin*, Glyceryl Stearate. Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil*, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil*, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Ionicera Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Extract, Ionicera Japonica (Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Populus Tremuloides (Aspen) Bark Extract, Radish Root Ferment Filtrate, Stearic Acid, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Xanthan Gum.