I have been cursed with cold sores my entire life. Many snapshots of my youth, especially school pictures, have me half-smiling with a huge red cold sore on my lip. I get them when I've been in the sun too long, I get them when I'm stressed and I get them when I get a really bad cold.
If you've never had a cold sore, let me just emphasize just how painful they are. Sure, they look like a little red bump, but my goodness do they feel like a huge blistery mountain. (Yes, I have one right now.)
I've tried all kinds of treatments for them. When I was a little kid, my doctor told my mom to use Carmex, which in my opinion was like a cold sore growing treatment. I've graduated on to try prescriptions (5 pills a day for 5 days during outbreak - yuck!), daily supplements to ward them off and lately topical products like Abreva. (compare prices)
Though I've been using Abreva quite religiously, I'm finding it's just not making my cold sore go away any faster than I'd like. And it's expensive - $20 for 0.07 oz! I'm doing a little research on cold sore treatments reviews.
- Abreva: Biggest downfall is price. Make sure if you buy it you buy the tube, not the pump, which controls the amount of wasted product. Reviews are mixed.
- Novitra: A homeopathic topical creamy treatment that uses zinc to heal sores faster. Lots of positive reviews.
- Cold Sores Begone: The one with the most 5-star reviews. It looks like a liquid that you drop on your cold sore.
- L-Lysine: A supplement that you either can take daily to prevent cold sores or as soon as one appears. It is an essential amino acid that helps with healing, not just cold sores.
From my experience with Abreva, it doesn't work well enough for me to shell out that kind of money. And I'm a horrible pill taker, so adding another daily supplement to the ones that I already have to take isn't ideal. I have yet to try Novitra or Cold Sore Begone yet, but in doing some other research, I found some articles that were helpful to me. Perhaps they will be for you, too, if you suffer from cold sores.
- Best Natural Remedies for Cold Sores
- Cold Sore Info from a Dermatologist
- Are Canker Sore's the Same as Cold Sores?
What's your trusted cold sore remedy? What do you tend to grab when you feel that first tingle? Is it a natural ingredient, a prescription or a drugstore product? Share your cold sore remedies with us.
Image courtesy PriceGrabber